Saturday, January 19, 2008

British Sea Power in Whelans

At this stage i've posted enough about them, and I told myself that i wouldn't bother with sayig anything today. But last night was just far to spectaculare to go undocumented. My first time seeing the great BSP but i hope it won't be my last. A brilliantly energetic set from the lads and lady made it easy to ignore the scorching temperature(a crowded gig and the radiators are on full blast??). My one, prolonged, trip to the bar caused me to nearly miss "waving flags", which sounds so much better live. The atmosphere was second to none with a crowd who really wanted to be there and a band who wanted to play for them, the smurflike Noble being very friendly from the outset. The actions of the 5th(or is it 6th) member of the band were probably the most entertaining, first apperance from stage right with a large air raid siren for sound affects, running across the stage playing a trumpet or a euphonium, or most spectacularly entering the stage for the encore via the balcony and the lighting rig. This is not to say that the rest of the band were not without their stage presence, and excellent performance from Drummer Tom White of Brakes & Electris Soft Parade(Sitting in for the injured Woody).
The night culminated in the epic semi-improvised(from what ive read) "Rock In A" which featured a stage invasion, a few audience members swinging from various parts of the venue & a very passionate kiss for Yan from a large topless man(yan did not look impressed).
I know its a bit early in the year for this but as timo said, gig of 2008(i am open to being convinced otherwise though).


Songs Of The Night:
"No Lucifer"
"How Will I Ever Find My Way Home?"
"Rock in A"